Duplicate PAN Card

A duplicate PAN card becomes necessary in situations where the original card is lost, stolen, misplaced, or damaged. The process for obtaining a duplicate PAN card begins with filing a First Information Report (FIR). Once the FIR is lodged, the applicant initiates a request for a reprint of the PAN card, submitting a copy of the old card and the FIR copy. Duplicate PAN card requests can also be made in specific cases of card damage, wherein the PAN remains unchanged, and only a new card is issued.

Situation in which need for the Duplicate PAN Card arises are as follows:

Loss or Theft: Many individuals are in habit of carrying a PAN Card in wallets. There is a possibility of a case of theft of a wallet.

PAN Card got misplaced: Case of misplacing of a PAN Card is also a very common scenario in which the need of having a duplicate PAN card arises.

Damaged: A PAN Card can get damaged because of various reasons, in that case also one applies for the reprint of PAN Card. Change of information: When an individual need to make corrections in the PAN Card, requiring changes or reprint of a PAN Card.

How to get a duplicate PAN card via online

Log on to the website of NSDL.

Select  the option of ‘Apply Online’ on the page.

Under the ‘Application Type’, select an option of ‘Changes or correction in existing PAN data or reprint of PAN Card.

Under the option of ‘category’, select the appropriate option. After that fill the required information:

  • First Name
  • Last Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Email address
  • Mobile Number
  • PAN

Add the ‘Captcha code’ and check the box mentioning as you are an Indian Citizen.

Click on ‘Submit’.

After that a token number will be provided to keep as a future reference for tracking the status of the PAN card.

After an applicant receives a token number, then need to click on’ Continue with PAN application form’.

What all need to fill under the section of personal details

Applicant needs to select a mode. There are basically three modes of submission of PAN application documents:

  • Submit digitally e-KYC and e-sign
  • Submit scanned images of e-sign
  • Forward documents physically

You also need to select in the check box that you need a physical PAN card or not? After that need to provide following details:

  • EID number
  • Aadhar card number
  • Name as per Aadhaar card.
  • Father’s and mother’s name.

Once done, click on ‘next’.

Contact and Other Details

Under this category, you will need to choose the ‘address for communication’. It can be your office or residence.

  • Fill in your address details.
  • Once done, you will need to add your contact details and e-mail ID.
  • Recheck everything and once done, click on ‘next’.


  • After you click on the ‘submit button’ from the page of ‘Document Details’, website will redirect you to payment page for making the required payment.
  • After making a successful payment, applicant gets an acknowledgement number. This 15-digit number can be used to track your PAN card application.
  • You will ideally receive a duplicate PAN Card within 2 weeks from the date of application.

Process of applying duplicate PAN Card via offline

Another way of applying for a PAN card is through offline. Steps to follow are:

  • Either take a printout of the for ‘Request for new PAN card or changes or correction in PAN Data’ from NSDL website. One can also collect the form from NSDL office.
  • Fill all the required details in BLOCK letters.
  • After that an applicant needs to affix two passport size photographs which should be cross signed sparing the face. It is to be affixed at the top of the form.
  • There is also space at the top of the form, there is a space to fill your PAN number which has been damaged or lost.
  • After furnishing all the details in the form, applicant also required o provide the required documents to support the form.
  • Send the form to NSDL office or facilitation center.
  • From there, NSDL sends the duplicate pan card application to the Income Tax department’s PAN services unit on receiving the payment of the same and generating of acknowledgement number.
  • Then applicant can use the same acknowledgement number to track the status.

Things to keep in mind while applying a duplicate PAN application

  • First thing is to file a FIR at the time of losing PAN card. The copy of FIR and the documents required to apply for reprinting of the PAN card, and it needs to be sent to NSDL office.
  • In case if a PAN applicant needs to make changes in the communication address in India, fee charge for processing of this case of PAN application is Rs 110 inclusive of taxes.
  • Fee for processing PAN card outside India is Rs 1020 inclusive of taxes.
  • Applicants can make payment using various modes such as Debit Card, Credit Card, Demand Draft or Net Banking.
  • In case applicant is making a payment using credit card or debit card then also an additional charge of 2% will be applicable by the bank whosever is providing the gateway facility. Apart from that, exchange or conversion rates may also be applicable.
  • Once successful is being made by the applicant, acknowledgement will be displayed on the screen. Applicant needs to take out the print of the same and sent to e- Govt site to NSDL.
  • In the case of minor applicant, his or her Aadhar number will have to be given in the application form. After that number will be authenticated.
  • In the case of non-individual applicant, acknowledgment receipt is to be signed by authorized signatory. In case of HUF, it is Karta, in case of partnership, it is partner, in case of company, it is Director, in case of Trust, it is Trustee and authorized signatory in all remaining categories.
  • If applicant is making use of thumb impression as a signature, then it is must to get it verified by a magistrate or a Gazetted officer or a Notary public, under official stamp and seal.
  • You will receive a PAN card at the address mentioned in Aadhar. Whenever you send application by post, must mention on the top of envelope “Application or Reprint of PAN Acknowledgement number’’.